Enter D'Apps I'm using this site to gain competence with technologies that I intend to utilize in the classroom. My college is doing a pretty good job teaching traditional methods, however, I only have one instructional media class and I believe that 21st century students should learn with 21st century technology. When I begin my teaching career, I want to integrate technology starting on the first day, and the only way I'll be able to do that is to start practicing now. I'll use blogs in the classroom for communicating with parents and daily roving reporting by students. Students will also have the option to write on their own blog. Over the next couple of years I'll model how I'll use use blogging in the classroom on this site. Please check out my other sites concerning Handhelds and Podcasting.


Monday, September 11, 2006

 

Working Long Division Prototype

I'm posting the download and screen shots of a working Long Division Prototype. The application has been tested on a M, T E, Zire 72, and a T E2 with no problems.

The big challenge in this application to create some kind of reasonable regrouping scheme in the editable text fields found during the second subtraction phase of the division problem that children can manipulate accurately. As usual, my 7 year old daughter (poor kid) stood in a 5th grader, and after a single demonstration she was able to complete the subtraction portions of the long division problems presented to her accurately. This wasn't unexpected since she's an experienced handheld user who has worked with my subtraction prototypes. For consistency within the application I then applied the same regrouping scheme to the first subtraction phase.

Download: Divison




Here are the directions for regrouping

1. Tap on the button labeled "R"
a. Text fields will appear.
b. The button is now labeled "C".
2. Tap on the numbers, they can now be "crossed out"
3. Write numbers in the editable text fields above the crossed out numbers.
4. Tap on "crossed out" numbers to return them to normal.
5. Tap on the "C"
a. The regrouping action is returned to its original state.


IMPORTANT: Some answers do not require a Remainder. In these instances, the problem solver must put a zero in a remainder field at the top otherwise the problem will not be evaluated.

Comments:
Wow. I must say that I do not understand everything you have here, but I GREATLY appreciate your drive to integrate technology into your classroom. And all the planning you're doing now displays your devotion to the profession!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Comments:
<$BlogCommentBody$>
<$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>
<$BlogItemCreate$>


Links to this post:
<$BlogBacklinkTitle$> <$BlogBacklinkDeleteIcon$>
<$BlogBacklinkSnippet$>

<$BlogItemBacklinkCreate$>



<< Home