Enter D'Apps I'm using this site to gain competence with technologies that I intend to utilize in the classroom. My college is doing a pretty good job teaching traditional methods, however, I only have one instructional media class and I believe that 21st century students should learn with 21st century technology. When I begin my teaching career, I want to integrate technology starting on the first day, and the only way I'll be able to do that is to start practicing now. I'll use blogs in the classroom for communicating with parents and daily roving reporting by students. Students will also have the option to write on their own blog. Over the next couple of years I'll model how I'll use use blogging in the classroom on this site. Please check out my other sites concerning Handhelds and Podcasting.


Monday, October 02, 2006

 

Addition

Here is the download for the Addition application. I'll post the downloads for Subtraction, Rounding, a new time application called AboutFace, and a redesigned AboutTime throughout the week.

Addition is intended for OS 5 devices. It may work on OS 4 devices (I can't find my m500 and sony SL20 at the time of the post), but does NOT work on the 3.5 OS Visor Prism. See the blog post below for images of Addition. I have no idea how my applications interact with PocketPCs and Styletap. If anybody has tried my applications using styletap I would love to hear how they do.

Addition

The software I create for educational purposes will always be freeware. I really hope this software is useful for educators who utilize handhelds with their students. My application are not nearly as cool as the GoKnow suite or the MIT Participatory Simulations, but thats not my goal. I want to create applications that teachers and administrators, who are hesitant about introducing and utilizing technology, know how to fit within their curriculum at first glance. I want people to say "Wow, thats cool what else can you do with these things" instead of "Wow, thats cool. How does that really apply to me and what I have to teach?" I think you have to make strong initial connections with skeptics before you can demonstrate the really cool and transformative capabilities of the handheld

(Please note: I am a student. I'm not even a student teacher. And anything I say about this should be taken in that context. I'll hope I'll come out of the Michigan
Handheld conference with completely different perspectives)


Upcoming Projects: I hope to have Division and Multiplication applications completed by the November Michigan Conferences. Introduce them there.

I'm creating a new Vocabulary application that allows the user to directly link into the now freeware NoahPro Dictionary and Thesaurus.

I love the concept of linking existing applications together. The student operates under the umbrella of an application that directly connects to other useful resources without hunting around. If anybody has any cool suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Comments:
<$BlogCommentBody$>
<$BlogCommentDeleteIcon$>
<$BlogItemCreate$>


Links to this post:
<$BlogBacklinkTitle$> <$BlogBacklinkDeleteIcon$>
<$BlogBacklinkSnippet$>

<$BlogItemBacklinkCreate$>



<< Home